EWM, jointly with the EMS Women in Mathematics Committee, is organizing an event during the 7ECM Berlin 2016, aiming at celebrating and giving prominence to female mathematics of excellence in Europe. See the details on the rooms where the activities take place on 7ECM webside.
The event includes five 50 minutes survey/colloquium style lectures by outstanding young women mathematicians on sunday 17 july.
EWM General Assembly also took place on sunday 17 july from 16,30 to 17,30, after a presentation on math publications illustrating the gender gap in mathematics. See report here.
The event also includes a Public Lecture by Alessandra Celletti (University of Roma Tor Vergata): Chaotic routes that shaped the universe: a history of some outstanding women scientists, and the Opening of the Exhibition: Women mathematicians in Europe. A gallery of portraits on wednesday 20 july.
Registration: We kindly ask you to register in advance. The registration is of course free of charge.
Program of activities on Sunday July 17
9,00-15,30, Talks by Distinguished Speakers (program and abstracts):
9,00-10,00, Fanny Kassel, CNRS and Université de Lille, Tessellations of the plane and beyond,
10,00-11,00, Hannah Markwig, Univeersitāt des Saarlanden, Tropical Geometry,
11,00-12,00, Carola Bibiane Schönlieb, University of Cambridge, Seing more in pictures - a mathematical perspective,
13,30-14,30, Britta Späth, Technische Universität Kaiserslautern, Theory of finite groups : Old conjectures, new Challenges,
14,30-15,30, Sarah Zerbes, University College London, Elliptic curves and the conjecture of Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer.
16, 00 16, 30 Helena Mihaljevic-Brandt, A data-backed study of gender differences in mathematics publication patterns (abstract)
16, 30 17, 30 EWM General Assembly (report)
Program of activities on Wednesday July 20
16,30-18,00 Celebration and closing of the EMS/EWM Survey Lectures 2016
16,30 Salutes by the EMS President, Pavel Exner and the Chair of the 7ECM Local Organizing Committee, Volker Mehrmann, to the community of European Women in Mathematics.
18,30 Opening of the Exhibition: Women mathematicians in Europe. A gallery of portraits.
1. Musical opening “Lo que nunca dijo nadie” for Guitar and Violin (Elena Mendoza),text by Ángel González.2004,
2. Address of welcome by Prof. Etienne Emmrich, Director of the Mathematics Institute, T.U.
3. Address of welcome by Prof. Christine Ahrend, Vice-president of the Berlin Technical University for Research, Hiring and Promotion of young researchers
4. A word of welcome by the Federal minister for Education and Research, Prof. Johanna Wanka, will be read by Prof. Ahrend.
5. Address of welcome by Prof. Jean-Pierre Bourguignon, President of the ERC
6. Introduction of the theme of the Exhibition by Prof. Sylvie Paycha
7. Musical interlude “Die Macht der Gewohnheit” for a talking violinist (Elena Mendoza), 2014, text by Hans-Magnus Enzensberger, ca. 11'
8. Talk on the theme “Women in Music" by Prof. Elena Mendoza
9. Opening of the Exhibition by Prof. Sylvie Paycha